The Ruby 12AX7AC5 High Grade tube is the Shuguang 12AX7 9th gen tube, but distributed by Magic Parts. These are a very consistently made tube, sweet sounding, and very warm. "High grade +" is one of the labels in the measuring system used by Magic Parts. It basically means the tube is best suited for the most sensitive first gain V1 spots.
- Bogner Shiva V1 Review by Mike
I got a Ruby 12AX7AC5 HG+ for the V1 slot of my Bogner Shiva. I just want to tell you that it made the OD channel come alive. The amp sounded great already with the standard Chinese 12AX7 I had in there, but when I put this Ruby in I was shocked at how much more touch-sensitive and rich the tone was. The notes just bloom and decay gorgeously with even moderate attack and it is just a thrill to play. The amp has become an instrument in its own right and I love playing it. I can't imagine not having a Ruby HG+ in there now.
Mike (Posted on 7/13/14)
- Victoria 5112 retube Review by Stan
I had to take the time to give you a shout out, share my story, and to say thanks! I received the tubes on the following Monday as you promised, and I really appreciate it.
This time around I needed to get my Victoria 5112 healthy again. Thing just started crapping out on me and making seriously obnoxious noises (outside of my typical guitar playing J). Only three tubes, but I did not have time to sort them out – so I just replaced all three tubes with those I purchased from you. Here’s the thing: the amp has really come to life. I just thought my setup was hosed, but holy cow, what a difference after replacing the tubes. There is a 3 dimensionality and added clarity to it now that just makes my mouth water. Absolutely wonderful.
This is the third amp I’ve re-tubed after purchasing tubes from you and I’ve had similarly excellent results with my Boogie F-50 and Rectoverb 50. I suspect I better start really learning about tubes and their impact on tone. So many people argue that they don’t make a big difference, but after hearing these amps I just don’t know how people can argue otherwise. It really makes a difference.
Thanks, Stan (Posted on 6/26/14)
- Bogner Shiva retube Review by Chris
Thank you for the tube recommendations for my Shiva. It sounds better then ever and is dead quiet! The Ruby EL34BHT's are a wonderful replacement for the old SED winged Cs and I will let all my guitar buddies know where to purchase them! The 12AX7AC5 HG+ pre's really make the Shiva shine. No more noise, the clean side is heaven, and the gain side roars!
I would also like to comment on the packaging / shipping. I ordered on a Thursday evening and had them in my amp Monday afternoon. The packaging was superb and gave me complete confidence out of the box!
Needless to say you have one very happy customer. Thank you.
(Posted on 4/29/14)
- Great for moving coil phono stage, sweet and tight Review by Michael
- These tubes have replaced my prior favorites, the reissue Mullards. The Mullards had been the only tube that didn't sound a little hard in my Herron VTPH2 phono stage, amplifying a Lyra Delos cartridge. These Rubys are very smooth and sweet, per Doung's description, but what really stood out was their bass response. Tighter and deeper, ' nuff said. Listening to LP's is truly an enveloping experience, which is all I could ask for. Thanks. (Posted on 12/9/13)
- Marshall VS100 Review by Al
- I'm very happy with the Ruby 12AX7AC5 HG+! While the JJ 5751 may be a bit cleaner, it is a bit thinner also. The Ruby sounds great! Thanks for a great suggestion and great service! (Posted on 1/8/13)
- Three RUBY 12AX7AC5 HG+ preamp tubes: Missing link for a GK Fusion 550 Bass Amp through a GK 4x12 Bass Cabinet Review by LAENGINE.com
- Per Doug's recommendation we replaced the three stock JJ ECC83C tubes; these stock tubes where quiet and clean but lacked midrange color and touch sensitive gain. I ordered two pairs (4 tubes) of Matched Gain (+$2.00), Balanced Triodes (+$2.00), High Gain (+$2.00), Matched Pair (+$22.00, Two Tubes). The tubes where marked by Doug with a 110/110 on all 4 tubes. We replaced the three stock tubes and after a 10 minute warmup, my first check was to turn all knobs on 10; the amp had so much more gain that I had to "lower" the preamp control to 0.5 (yes less than one). I use the "active" preamp selection with all of my basses otherwise this amp distorts too easily and sounds more like a Marshall guitar amp then a traditional bass amp. Note this amp has a large dynamic headroom (60v p-p) using a three tube preamp and a high current solid state 500 watt power amp. With three RUBY 12AX7AC5 HG+ preamp tubes, the amp is much tighter bass response, yet I can push it to growl like my old Boogie DL180 (all tube bass amp) by playing more aggressively. Overall the most notable improvement was in the lower and mid spectrum of the tone controls (GK uses tubes for this and only has 5-6 db of boost). These tubes add that color to your sound with increased harmonics and boost. Overall the RUBY 12AX7AC5 HG+ preamp tubes provide that early USA touch sensitive gain with a warm harmonic sustain; a wonderful change in tone! (Posted on 6/16/12)
- Great V1 Tube for a Mesa Boogie Walkabout Scout Review by Thomas
- On Doug's recommendation I put one of these in V1 and was really impressed! As per the description, it's sweeter sounding and warmer than the stock tube. Also, it stays clean a bit longer but overdrives really well. (Posted on 5/18/12)